It’s a boon to have a healthy baby. Mothers take utmost care to make sure that their baby is healthy. Apart from the food chart and vaccination chart, the next important chart is the height and weight chart. If it is being a first time mother, then the anxiety to keep the baby healthy is even more. In our country, a baby is considered healthy if he/she is chubby. A tiny baby is usually considered unhealthy. There is a lot of pressure on these young mothers from their relatives and friends. It is important to keep a watch on the baby’s height and weight and the overall growth. However there is nothing to worry or go hyper over every 50-100 grams of weight. Overweight or underweight will hamper the overall growth of the baby. In India, usually one baby is compared with another baby for growth, height and weight. This is not a correct practice. The growth has to be compared with the birth weight. Birth weight is considered as the bench mark.
A complete healthy diet child to follow for the 9 months old Indian baby for better growth.
WHO Standard Height and Weight Chart for Indian Babies
The World Health Organization has defined some parameters to understand the growth of the baby. The bench mark is the birth weight. It is not right that babies of the same age are compared. Always compare the growth with the birth weight. Both height and weight are indicators of growth of the baby. The overall growth depends on the food intake. At the time of birth, the hospital staff/doctors record the birth weight and birth height. Approximately 2 cm on an average will be gained every month in height.
The average height and weight at different ages of Indian children is given below.
ASSESSMENT OF GROWTH:
When a baby is born, hospitals and clinics issue medical check-up cards and give a list of vaccinations and immunizations to be done periodically. Whenever the parents bring the child, any illness, height and weight are recorded. The growth charts are displayed on the walls of the clinics to check for good growth. Keep these cards safe as you need to show the doctor about details of growth of your child. These days, schools also ask for these cards. Some schools maintain their own records to track the medical history of the child.
Maintaining a baby boy weight chart and tracking the progress of the growth of the child is a good assessment of growth.
- Recording multiple parameters at any single time is more appropriate hat recording a single parameter.
- In the first one year, the child should be weighed monthly. In the second year, the child should be weighed for every two months. After the second year, and up to the fifth year, every three months the weight should be checked.
When should you be concerned?
It is important to keep a watch on the baby’s height and weight. Don’t be worried if there is difference of 50 grams to 100 grams of weight in your baby’s growth. Watch for at least 3 months. If the height and weight are still not in accordance to the chart given by the doctor, then consult your doctor immediately to take a corrective action. Babies are very gentle, tender and delicate. They are prone to viral infections which can impact their growth. There can be fluctuations in growth. Don’t worry on every minor fluctuation. Observe for at least 3 months. Take the baby for regular checkup and consult your doctor. Indian height weight chart according to age should be maintained up to the age of five at least.
Find out tips on teaching the healthy living style to your child that ensures better growth and development.
Great Tips to Increase your Child’s Height
Every child should reach standard height to look healthy. Generally when a child reaches standard height, they are considered healthy. Here are few tips to increase your child’s height.
- Adequate sleep: For a child and a teenager eight hours of sleep is considered to be adequate.
- Regular exercise and sports: Exercising regularly or participating in sports will increase blood circulation, it will build stamina, help to have a good appetite. Stretching exercises, football, volley ball, cricket etc all these games will help your child to grow better.
- Yoga: Yoga is another great way to increase your child’s height. There are some yoga poses, which will help to release growth hormone
- Maintaining right body posture: Simple things like sitting correctly, walking with shoulders kept straight, chin raised etc can have some good impact on the overall growth of your child.
- Balance diet: Your child needs balanced diet for overall growth and development. You must take special care about the food he/she takes. Make sure that your child gets proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, essential fat etc from the food he/she consumes.
The Right Nutrition for your Babies Height Gain
Children grow rapidly when they are young. The height and weight changes can be noticed quickly in a child. To facilitate this growth, Indian children need nutritious and balanced diet. We will discuss some important nutrients which are necessary for a child’s growth.
Proteins: Protein is a very necessary element in your kid’s daily intake of food. Proteins helps in muscle building and are the building blocks of the body. It also helps in building tissues. It is important for the growth of hair, nails, skin and other important organs of the body.
Vitamins: Vitamins are necessary for strong bones and body. They are very important to keep vital organs healthy. There are many vitamins like Vitamin A, B, C, D, E, and K. We get these vitamins from green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and vegetables.
Minerals: Children need minerals like Zinc, calcium, magnesium, iodine etc for healthy body. Fresh fruits, meat, vegetables, milk etc contain minerals.
Feed your baby with these healthy foods to ensure weight gain of your baby in a wholesome way.
Know about all the healthy food items that you must include the diet of your 7 months old baby for good growth.
Wholesome baby food ideas for Indian toddlers between 6-12 months for a perfect growth graph.