Babies are so gentle and cute. They need lot of attention and care in every aspect. The first 6 months baby is fed on breast milk of the mother. After six months solid food is introduced in small quantities. Mothers and elder ladies in the family take utmost care to prepare home cooked Indian baby food. They are very cautious about the nutritional values and the digestion capacity of the baby. The different regions in India has different recopies. Healthy baby food recipes are a part of Indian baby meal. We have collected some delicious baby food to be prepared at Indian home for every young mother.
Homemade Indian Food Recipes for 6 months to 1 year old
Purees of Fruits
Fruits are the healthiest food that you can give to your baby. They are easily digestible and will provide necessary nutrition’s to your baby. Babies don’t have teeth to chew.so, make a puree of these fruit and feed your baby with a small spoon. Your baby will enjoy this food. It is easily swallow able. Some fruits may have to be cooked before making a puree.
- Peel and cut apple into small pieces.
- Steam apple pieces in a thick bottom pan or in a pressure cooker till apple is cooked very tender.
- Cool, and blend the cooked apple with a blender.
- If your baby is 8 months and above then you can mash with a fork and feed your baby.
Banana is the best fruit to start a fruity meal to your baby. This fruit has lot of calories and vitamins that are necessary for the growth of your baby. Use a very ripe banana, the more the black skin, and black spots on the skin, the better. Here is an easy recipe for your baby.
1 ripe banana
Milk (breast milk or formula milk)
- Peel the ripe banana
- Place the banana in a blender and make a smooth puree
- Add milk and blend again to a smooth mixture.
Seasonal Vegetable Soup
A seasonal vegetable soup is a nice way to introduce vegetables to your baby. Homemade warm vegetable soup is a very nice way to introduce your baby to vegetables. Use few ingredients only to check the adoptability of the baby to the vegetable.
- Green peas
- Peel all vegetables.
- Wash them thoroughly
- Dice them into small pieces
- Put all the vegetables in pressure cooker wit 2 cups of water
- Let it cook for 3-4 whistles
- Let it cool and then blend it with a blender for a smooth consistency.
- Strain in a bowl.
- Serve warm( as much as the baby can tolerate)
Moong Dal (Yellow split pulse)
Moong dal is very tasty and it has necessary protein in it. You can start introducing lentils with moong dal. This lentil gets cooked easily and will give necessary protein to your baby. Choose the yellow split moong dal to start with.
Split yellow moong dal
- Wash and soak yellow split moong dal for half an hour.
- Pressure cook the moong dal for 3-4 whistles in pressure cooker.
- The dal will cooed to a paste. Adjust the consistency by adding water as required.
- Feed your baby with this yummy moong dal.
Khichdi is a great combination of cereal and pulse. You can start this combination from ninth month of your baby. It gets digested very easily. You can give khichdi for lunch for your baby. It is very filling.
- 2 table spoons Yellow moog dal
- 1 table spoon rice
- ½ table spoon homemade ghee
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 cup water
- Wash and soak rice and yellow moong daal for 15-30 minutes.
- Mix dal, rice, turmeric and cook in pressure cooker and close it with lid.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles
- Open the cooker once the steam is released completely
- Stir the khichdi with a masher.
- Add homemade ghee
Carrot, Potato, and Apple Soup
This is a great combination soup for babies who are ten months and above. Carrots are rich in Vitamin A, Potato will give necessary carbohydrates and Apple has lot of vitamins and minerals in it. This is an excellent source of energy for your baby. Your baby will just love thee taste and ask for more.
- ½ medium sized apple
- ½ carrot peeled and chopped
- ½ potato peeled diced and washed
- A pinch of black pepper
- Peel and dice apple
- Peel wash and dice carrots
- Wash, peel and dice potato
- Cook all of them together in a pressure cooker with 1 cup of water for 4 whistles
- Switch off the gas flame and let the steam go off
- Once the ingredients are cooled, blend them to a desired consistency.
- Feed this yummy soup to your baby.
Suji halwa is very easy to prepare and very tasty also. Suji is digested easily by baby tummies. Your baby will just love the taste of this halwa. This halwa is nutritious, easy to prepare, and very healthy.
- ¼ cup semolina
- ½ table spoon ghee
- ¾ cup luke warm water
- ½ cup pureed date
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- Deseed the dates, chop them into pieces and puree in a mixer.
- Heat ghee on low flame and roast suji in it, till you get a nice aroma.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning of suji. Once the suji is pinkish/ reddish in color, it means it is roasted well.
- Now add dates puree cardamom powder and water into roasted suji.
- Stir continuously to avoid lumps
- Cook on high flame till the water gets absorbed. Then switch off the flame.
- The delicious suji halwa is ready for your baby to consume.
- It is advisable to keep the consistency as your baby desires.
Homemade cereals is the best choice to start solid food to your baby. A mono grain rice cereal is the best option to start homemade baby food. Rice has lot of carbohydrates and gives lot of energy to babies. The baby feels full for a long time.
- ¼ brown rice powder (you can make a powder of rice in a mixer)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- Make a fine powder of brown rice
- Boil water and slowly add rice powder to it
- Keep stirring constantly
- Reduce the heat and simmer for sometime
- Add milk and let the rice powder cook in milk for some time. Keep stirring and check for desired consistency
- Turn off the flame and Serve warm
Sago, also known as sabudana is rich in carbohydrates. It provided instant energy. During summers sago has a cooling effect. Sago can be consumed in multiple forms but easiest form is kheer. There is a medicinal purpose also. In case your baby has loose motions, then make your baby drink the sago water. This will give relief from loose motions very soon.
- ¼ cup sago
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 table spoon jiggery or dates puree
- A pinch of elaichi power
- Sabudana has to be soaked in the water overnight.
- Rinse water in the morning and let it stand for some time, till the water is drained out.
- Add 1 cup of milk in a thick bottom pan, then add a pinch of cardamom power.
- Add sabudana into the milk.
- Boil milk over low flame for few minutes and keep stirring.
- Once the consistency gets thicken, add the jaggery or dates puree into it. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Switch off the flame.
- Let it cool down to room temperature and feed to your baby
This Suji kheer is usually in the list of first solid food to babies. This food is very tasty, easy to prepare. This is a very healthy and easy to prepare food.
- Take 1 table spoon suji in a sauce and dry roast for 5 minutes
- Add water and coo till desired consistency.
- Add milk and keep stirring.
- Once it becomes thick switch off flame and let it cool.
Milkshakes for Babies
Milk shakes can be made with any seasonal fruit blended and with milk. Milk shake is easy to prepare and highly nutritious. Some babies are fussy to eat fruit. This is a good option to feed them with fruit – Milk shakes. Chikoo milk shake is very tasty and it has a natural sweetness. Babies will just love milkshakes. Alternatively milkshakes can be made by adding some natural flavors like cardamom powder, instead of fruits.
- 1 ripe chikoo
- Wash and peel chikoo skin
- Remove thee black seeds from the fruit.
- Make a paste of chikoo
- Add milk and blend with a blender to make a milkshake consistency.