Hearing loss with kids is difficult to judge as they are very small to understand and express. Hearing loss is a result of some part of ear doesn’t function correctly. Statistics reveal that almost 3 children per 1,000 suffer from hear loss. And 5 children per 1,000 are diagnosed with mild to serious hearing loss between 3 to 7 years of age. As parents, you can go for hearing loss treatments at the earliest by reading signs of hearing loss at any age. With right treatment at the right time, you can surely save them from serious hearing issues. For instance, hearing problems in toddlers cause speech delay and this can be controlled with more vigilance. In this post, we have compiled everything you need to know about hearing loss in children.
Responses to Sounds By Kids of Different Age Brackets
Just look for these age specific responses of children to judge if there is some issue with hearing.
Responses for 0 to 3 Months
- Smiles or doesn’t react on talking
- Learns to recognize parent’s voice
- Sucks and stops in response to a sound
- Frightens to loud sounds
Responses for 4 to 6 Months
- Notices noise making toys
- Reacts to music
- Eye movements with sound
- Reacts to different voice tones
Responses for 7 to 12 Months
- Listens when you are taking
- Turns towards sound’s direction
- Reacts to common words
- Reacts to requests or directions
- Starts to play games like peekaboo
Responses for 1 to 2 Years
- Learns to listen to songs, stories etc.
- Follows easy commands
- Responds to simple questions
- Learns to point when asked
In case you are unable to notice these responses of your child as per his or her age bracket then you must visit the doctor. With early detection of the problem, best possible hearing loss treatment can help in restoring the situation.
Warning Signs Beyond 2 Years
Here are some warning signs beyond 2 years of age which are a clear indication that something is wrong. These are evident signs of hearing loss in 3 year old or 4 year old kids. So if you see any of these hearing loss problems in 5 year olds or 6 year olds, don’t waste your time and rush to the doctor immediately.
- Fails to respond to simple two part instructions like “ sit down and finish your food”
- Doesn’t show any interest in simple stories
- Fails to form easy two word sentences to express himself
- Fails to answer easy “what”, “who”, “why” questions
- Doesn’t ask “what”, “who”, “why” questions
- Fails to understand action words
- Doesn’t use verbs or plurals
- Fails to select objects based on their size
- Fails to understand possessive terms
These are clear indications that there is hearing problems in your 5 years old kid and it demands attention.
Facts About Ear Infections and Hearing Loss
Here are some points that every parent must understand about ear infections and hearing loss.
- In the first year of life, infection usually happens in one ear.
- Repeated infection despite antibiotics suggests surgery.
- Usually hearing loss happens due to ear infection and ends once the infection is taken care of.
- If ear infection is not treated or is chronic then chances of permanent hearing loss are more.
- Hearing loss due to infection is reflected in crying more than normal, not responding to sounds, problem in sleeping, fever, drainage in ear etc.
Guidelines on Protecting Kids Ears
Here are some guidelines which can save your child from having ear infection.
- While taking your child out for a noisy event like a concert, make him wear ear protection.
- Before purchasing any toy, first listen to its sound to make sure it is not too loud. Remember to hold it next to you ear and then take the decision.
- Once the child is of 5 or 6 years of age, guide him about protecting his ears.
Hearing problems in children can be noticed and corrected just with a little vigilance. As parents, you are now more aware about what signs and actions you need to focus to make sure your baby grows into a healthy individual.